Tuesday, October 07, 2008


We got the news of the ambush on the 507th several days after it happened. Nobody knew if there were deaths, p.o.w.'s or mia's. for sure, We just knew there were some or all of the above. We KNEW these soldiers. They shared our barracks back home and were our maintenance company. During this deployment we weren't attached to each other, but suddenly war was oh so very real to us all. This had hit us all very hard.



We talked amongst ourselves about who we knew, wondering if they were ok or who was alive pr not. Eventually news came down that some were ok, but there were several M.I.A's ( missing in action) ...some thought to be dead and others who were P.O.W's. I was more terrified then, than at any other point of the entire war. What wold these people DO to our brothers and sisters? Especially to the women. My boys became more protective of me.. Always making sure my weapon was clean and I remembered the hand to hand combat techniques we'd been taught by our infantry boys.



My Chris was especially worried, and one morning, not long after the 507th ambush, we prepared to roll through a small town that was said to be especially hostile. Chris came to my truck to see me. We were about to leave, and I was siting there in silence, just thinking about what might lie ahead.. He is a calm, quiet man, and his voice was intense as he told me what to do. "Babe, if things go wrong, I want you to listen tome ok?" I could only nod "keep the truck running as long as possible, and shot anything or run over anything and anyone that gets in your way. If your truck is disabled get out and run. Baby, don't let them take you alive. Fire 3 shots then take off running in another direction for 100 seconds. Fir anther 3 rounds and take off in another direction. That way they can't find you by your gunfire. Keep shooting and running until you get away From the town or where the fighting is. IF you run into anyone, use your weapon as a club, use your bayonet, and use your fists, feet, teeth if you have to." He had me by the arm, squeezing me tightly. I stared at his face, so full of emotion, ans something I'd never seen before. I think w were both scared this would be the last time we would ever see each other alive. "don't let them take you prisoner. You use those last rounds if you have to."



I had put 3 spare rounds in my pocket several days before. The rounds went into my pocket as a preventative measure in case I got caught up in a battle and used up all my ammunition without realizing it, and had none left to use on myself. It was my intention not to be taken P.O.W. I would take out as many as I could, but I would take my own self out if it came down to that.



"Be careful" he whispered "I love you and I WILL see you soon." I choked out "I love you too" and grabbed him by his flack vest and kissed him quickly. I couldn't have given a shit less who saw us at that point. "take care of yourself" I yelled as he walked away into the early morning darkness.



I became someone else that day. I was totally prepared to kill. I knew I could pull that trigger and take down anyone no matter if it was a an, woman or child.. I shut off all my emotions and just scanned my sector, looking for any movement.. We saw burning buildings, and even a few dead bodies in burning trucks. All was quiet ad dark. I was so eerie. So totally quiet. No movement, no sounds... nothing. I don't think I breathed the whole time our convoy rolled through the town. We made it through and we all felt a sense of relief and the tension was lifted for a while as the sun came up. That was one of the most glorious sunrises I'd ever seen. It seemed to be a celebration of life with all its fiery colors and the way it set the whole, huge sky i=on fire. The joy of being alive lasted only a little while, then it was back on the road fora long convoy.



Several days later we got the news of the 507th. I heard it in the command post and took the long walk to my platoon to deliver the sad news. "we just got word on the 507th" I said. Everyone gathered around, asking questions. By the look on my face, they quieted down quickly. "there are confirmed P.O.W's We know they are Miller, Johnson, and Lynch. "faces fell as I told them "there have also been confirmed KIA's.. Kiel and 'Pie'. We still don't know about the others." 'your sure 'Pie' is dead?" came the question. that's when a tear slipped out "yeah I whispered. 'She's gone' We all stood there in silence as I dried y eyes. All I could think about was that she had probably promised her 2 kids she would be coming home. I cried quietly as sgt Masce came and hugged me. I walked off to be alone, and to get a grip on myself. I decided I would just deal with it later, once I was safely home. I couldn't afford to let my fear or sadness rule me. It just wasn't part of my life at that time. I had to put it away, so I did. Much later after I was home I shed many tears for my friends and even those I didn't know too well. It could have easily been us. I felt guilty for coming home and for being happy. Those feelings still creep up on me when I least expect it. I want to do something ;for those who dies. But what do you do? How can I tell their families ho sorry I am that they lost their soldier? How do you convey what you feel? maybe I will find a way through this book. If I Can keep their memories alive in a way, then maybe it will help ease the ache someone feels for them.


No comments: